Acceleread Speed Reading Trainer for iPad and iPhone
Published by Bananabox Inc, this impressive little application utilizes several techniques in its quest for greater reading rates. These are highlighted below:
How does it work?
- Upon start up, the app trainer measures your initial reading rate and then suggests methods for you to improve by placing you on a suitable course.
- There are three levels; beginner, intermediate and advanced, each of which refines your skills gradually.
- Once the current level is achieved, the program will gradually place you onto the next level by itself. No fiddling required!
- download on the app store (iTunes link)
Acceleread Features and Highlights
Combined, these highlights provide you with one powerful package, of which the key features are demonstrated below:
- Informative, legible lessons that tell you where you are going wrong and where you are going right in your development of speedier reading.
- The ability to import your own book collection into the app, allowing you to read and learn techniques in tandem.
- Easy to follow and fun statistics, showing everything from course completion to number of words read and more!
|★★★★★☆||Free 2-day trial|
$9.99 iPad & iPhone
|iOS speed reading trainer to improve reading comprehension and apply techniques using own material, books and texts. Available for iPad and iPhone.|
Acceleread is currently only available on the iTunes app store, but it is now fully compatible and optimised for iOS 7 minimum. Thus it can be downloaded on all of Apple’s current generation of handheld products, the latest iPod touch included.
Acceleread App Review: Things to know
It should be briefly noted; although listed as free on the iTunes Store, Acceleread is actually a paid app after the two day cut-off point is reached. From here, a sum of $10 is required for further use which is a rather abrupt marketing strategy, especially when even the most basic course on the app is a ten day minimum process.
Aside from its abrupt marketing approach, this application is one of the most comprehensive and useful speed reading apps currently on the market. Typically, a weekend live course will set you back around $99 (US) and whilst the experience offered on a screen will never be the same as that offered in a first person class, in some aspects it is very useful.
The actual idea of a progress tracker and ‘course’ you can undertake is an intuitive and interactive way of encouraging learning. Furthermore, the techniques offered by Acceleread actually work, being in line with what is offered via classes and clinics. Ensuring that you can learn to speed read from your own material only adds to the user-friendly package offered also.
Of course, the training provided is not immediate in nature like other apps. Whilst it can teach you how to speed read, it may take you a few more days than 10 to really get to grips with the system. For the first few days especially, you probably will not see too much of a difference and for those looking for an immediate ‘quick fix’, this is not an application you should focus your attention upon.
Acceleread Review: Should I get it?
For those actually looking to learn accelerated reading techniques, both in terms of words per minute and rate of comprehension, Acceleread is a well thought out, easy to follow product that will teach you just how to do just that. It has a fun interface, added usability in the latest update and is initially free, allowing you to decide whether it is the program for you. Just keep that $10 price tag in mind when you download it for a permanent solution (download on the app store).