7Spell – A cloud based spelling tutor for kids and students
7Spell is an educational tutor aimed at any learner who wants to improve their spelling skills. Designed with many expert exercises, fun activities and educational features, it can effectively help children, school students or English Second language learners to develop a good command of the English language.
Read our 7Spell review and find out if expert spelling lists, online dictionaries, games and detailed reports are a suitable approach to improve your grades, academic performance or overall confidence. It is available for PC, Mac, Chrome and as a web browser app.
7Spell – Quick Overview
7Spell 2017 (visit website) is based on scientific research and offers a variety of effective and latest learning methods. It is aimed at younger learners, but certainly not limited to that market and is a great tool for educators to assist children with spelling.
Branded as the successor of Ultimate Spelling, it comes with the latest cloud technology to further improve accessibility and interaction for individuals or classes. 7Spell also provides access to a large database of 140,000 words in the program, but learners can add words from other users or add their own favorites. Re-designed testing and progress tracking features complete the latest version to develop spelling skills sustainably.
Background – Why Spelling is Important
Freeform Spelling – We are living in an era ruled by technology and naturally use mobile devices with word processing capabilities and auto correct spelling features for our jobs and daily communication. The good thing is, that a culture of freeform spelling is still readily accepted where a person can invent a word and even invent spelling for it, during written or spoken conversation.
Abbreviations – Another freeform for spelling, is abbreviations. Interactive text messages is growing exponentially and texting is fast paced. Abbreviated spelling and invalid words are popular to humanize and keep up in text conversations. Unfortunately we and in particular children are exposed daily to this and start thinking LOL, or BRB are actual words, instead of “laughing out loud” or “be right back”.
Balancing – Good knowledge of words and orthography is therefore very helpful for kids and adults alike. 7Spell is ingenious software that teaches children from a young age to develop their spelling skills naturally. It also provides a technological solution to bridge the spelling disadvantage gap and to undo potential damage that can be caused by technology. It balances out the imbalance in a fun and easy to use way.
7Spell 2017 – Features and Highlights
Empowerment Through Skills
1. Dictionaries & resources – 7Spell is a complete educational resource. It contains a large built-in dictionary, showing the spelling of the word, the type of word and a definition of the word. It integrates with other popular dictionaries, such as Wikipedia, for a more effective learning experience. Words and lists can be accessed in Worksheets and Flash Cards. Other word features include Word Discover, Word Explorer and Vocabulary Building.
2. Expert lists – The app makes use of spelling lists, the actual basis for success of the program. Students can access already available expert lists integrated into the program. The expert lists are available for Grade 1 up to Grade 10 allowing learners to utilize the tutor according to their current level of skills and confidence. Alternatively, you can create and share your own lists based on topic or learning preferences.
3. Games – 7Spell has a module where you use games and activities to firstly learn spelling in a playful manner. Secondly, it helps you to test your knowledge in a fun way. Learners can access the activities in the “Train” menu on the Home screen. The activities include Crossword, Hang Man, Crazy Clues, Word Search and Spelling Workout. All the activities can be done on different levels and indicate your progress during the activity.
4. Preparation – Improving spelling can have a positive influence on many aspects of your life. The app will assist learners to use correct spelling during education. This will greatly influence subjects where spelling plays an integral role, such as English Primary or Secondary Languages. It will assist the learner to achieve better grades and builds confidence and a better self-esteem. The results are far reaching and will eventually affect your potential future career.
Price: $29.95 Visit website.
5. Individual learning – 7Spell is designed according to scientific research to create effective learning and proven results. It applies the research principles done in learning, retention and psychology. Main research that is applied here clearly indicates that each person is unique and therefore has a unique way of learning, especially according to the status quo of their skills and abilities. Scientific research incorporated are:
- Depth of processing – Learning is increased when the learner is exposed to various levels and depth of learning.
- Spaced repetition – Where learners are reminded of learning content in subtle ways, like periodically displaying a word while proceeding with other tasks.
- Operant conditioning – The program rewards you for correct answers.
- Reward system – Students are more willing to learn and improve if they work towards a goal. Rewarding them for reaching their goal, keeps them motivated. It keeps the learning experience fun, exciting and engaging.
6. Progress tracking – Learners can track their progress. When a learner can see their progress, it psychologically motivates them, because they can see the results of the time and effort they used. Progress is shown for Spelling Results, Training Time and Training Focus. All three of these features can be set according to a specific time frame, including 7days, 14 days, one month and three months. Progress results are accessed at the “Your Stats” menu on the Home screen.
7. Social learning – Interactivity and sociability is a crucial part in learning. Humans are social beings and children even more so. When children interact with friends or peers, they unknowingly learn by exchanging and comparing information. Not only does this repetition increase learning, it also creates a competitive platform, challenging each other’s knowledge. 7Spell creates a growing social platform where students, parents and educators can take part in the learning experience.
Additional Features of 7Spell
Printable worksheets – Print your work and results. The print function is easy to access from the main menu on the Home screen. Follow the easy steps to print your Worksheets, any of the list (including expert lists and lists of friends) and flash card.
5 users – You can create up to 5 accounts per license. Each user has their own dashboard and profile and they can access their accounts from multiple devices or workstations. You add the different accounts at your profile settings on the Main menu. This feature certainly makes the tool an ideal solution for the whole family to engage in.
Compare – The comparison feature allows you to compare 7Spell to other popular spelling software available. You might be interested in the duration of the tutoring, the fees involved and the effectiveness of the program. Comparisons are made to basic education, private schools, personal tutoring and tertiary training centers.
At a glance
- Database of 142,642 words
- Audio pronunciation of words
- Exercises, games and grade testing
- Printable work and study sheets
- Use expert lists or create own spelling lists
- Learn in groups
- Prepare for tests
- Advance progress tracking
- Social learning and sharing
- Latest cloud technology
- Synchronization between computers, web app
- 5 users, unlimited system installs
- License for 3 years
7Spell – Pros and Cons
Accessibility – Another benefit is the accessibility of the program. Access the program on any device and from any location where there is internet connectivity. The program is compatible with most of the popular operating systems, including Windows, Mac and Linux. Though an app for iOS and Adroid is missing, you can certainly access it via their browser app on your iPhone, iPad or Android device.
Support and help – 7Spell includes a help reference section, assistance and guidance. Even the best program in the world will be worth nothing if the learner does not know how to access or use it. The help files are very comprehensive and easy to follow. It guides the learner step by step on how to get started and utilize it to its full potential.
Synergies – Spelling and vocabulary goes together and with a proper command of the written and spoken word of the language; mastering English gives you a certain feel of power and success. People are often judged according to their vocabulary and spelling skills. The software can help you break free from that judgment and restrictions and positively influence your social skills and increase career potential.
7Spell Review – The Verdict
The more you use 7Spell (visit website) and its features, the more you actually realize the brilliance behind the programming. Using the tutor to increase your learning skills of your children is the same as adding ketchup to your dinner or to add a spoon of sugar to disguise the bad taste of the medication.
The best is that it is very effective using this method. It is quite ingenious and has an easy to use interface and combined with the comprehensive help files, it is one of the most user friendly and effective educational systems.
Including its cost effectiveness it is highly recommended as an educational learning and testing program, taking your spelling skills from Beginner to Advanced. We therefore give it a top rating.
Thanks for reading our 7Spell review. If you have any product questions or want to get advice on how to use eLearning solutions in your school or at home please let us know by writing a comment or an email.