Finish Reading Lists Quickly
Speed reading tutors have become quite popular because they are effective and help users improve their reading skills. While this type of learning software might be quite famous amongst students and teachers, there are speed reading apps for smart devices such as Accelerator by Lickability that users can access on their phones and practice faster reading at their own convenience.
Though they do not offer the features fully sized tutors come with these apps allow to process online material much faster and offer some learning experience.
What is Accelerator?
The Accelerator app (formerly Velocity) aims is to allow users to speed read material from the Web, Instapaper, and Pocket at much faster speeds.
Priced at $2.99, Accelerator (iTunes link) is an iOS compatible speed reading app that you can run on your iDevices such as iPad, iPhone or even iPod Touch. Integrated in Accelerator is a technique named Rapid Serial Visual Presentation (RSVP) which has been proven to improve users’ reading speed.
Two things make RSVP technique very useful:
- It makes users cut down on sub-vocalization by making them cut down on reading text inside their heads
- It also helps users in cutting the habit of reading the previous line and looking for the end of the sentence
How Does The App Work?
After downloading Accelerator from App Store and opening it on your device, the reading speed will be adjusted to 300/per minute. However, it is entirely up to users to adjust the speed (which can be done by adjusting the slider below the text). Users can start off slowly, say 300 per minute and increase the reading speed as they go. Eventually, with consistent practice, Accelerator guarantees a drastic improvement in one’s reading speed and improvement in voice reading clarity too.
Features, Pros and Cons
Features of the Accelerator app include the following:
- iOS compatible (runs on all iOS devices)
- Uses the Rapid Serial Visual Presentation technique, proven effective by research
- Users can adjust the speed of the text
- Fonts are adjustable
- Supports import of data from Microsoft Office Word Documents
- Includes OpenDyslexic font that has said to improve reading among those who have dyslexia.
- Features three different, two toned themes that users can choose depending on their preferences
- The app is iOS 7 compatible and comes with classic interfaces, swiping gestures as well as visual elements found in the new iOS version
- App comes with its own browser that lets you search the web for articles and save them on the app
- Increase speed reading by a drastic number
- Improves clarity
- Builds confidence
- Can be used at your own convenience
- Easy to download
- Extremely user friendly
- Open links from Safari directly in the app and read anything in the app
- Allows users to copy random text in the app as well
- Very cheap compared to speed reading software
- Downloaded text can be viewed offline in the app
- Doesn’t support import of Pages (pre-available on iOS 7) files
Accelerator is a $2.99 speed reading app that aims to help improve users’ speed reading skills. Compared to speed reading software, the price of the app is really cheap. Accelerator is an extremely user friendly app that guarantees improvement in users’ reading speed and reading skills.