Customizable typing tutor for kids, families and individuals
Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing is a popular typing program that is powered by Ultrakey technology. It is based on a verified, authentic and reliable methodology of learning. The software ships in three different versions targeting kids, individuals and families.
What makes the program suitable to many students is that the Mavis Beacon tutor is success based and structured into seven steps to make learning an easy, productive, fun and fast experience. It’s available for Windows and OS systems. Read our descriptive review to see if this course will suit your needs.
The Seven Steps to Success
All Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing editions offer an easy to follow step-by-step program.
1. What is your goal?
Set your individual target that reflects your own pace and motivation but will also challenge you on accuracy and speed. During the lessons you can speed up or slow down the progress and learning.
2. Learn correct posture and ergonomics
There will be a lesson to teach you the optimal body and hand position. This is an important area to master in order to reduce health risks related to typing.
3. Practice typing techniques
One of the main steps is to learn the right techniques. Video and interactive graphics will help you to master the home, top and bottom row.
4. Learn New Keys
One key at the time: Systematically build your pool of different keystrokes and combine them to form words and sentences.
5. Use your skill
As you complete lessons you will perform corresponding checks to ensure you will progress over the time.
6. Practice regularly
Multiple tests and exercises are offered. Practicing is key, so this step ensures that you will master your typing skills.
7. Celebrate! Of course after all the hard work you are meant to celebrate your success. Let su know how you did!
3 Editions of Mavis Beacon
Depending on the needs of their target audience you will find varying features and conditions with each edition of the Mavis Beacon Software.
1. Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing Family Edition
This edition is aimed at families who wish to teach several people on different work stations. An integrated family management tool allows to monitor the progress of all members and admin up to 8 user accounts.
- 3 licenses on 3 different computers
- Family management tool and parent guide. Manage up to 8 user accounts
- Add your own content, apply material to 10,000 keystrokes for practicing
- Following the step-by-step guide may show positive results within eight hours
- Suitable for students aged 8 to 88
- Set personal goals for each user. Progress at your own pace
- 12 interface themes
- Customizable options for different age groups
- 18 different videos to learn typing and stretch break techniques
- 100 Typing tests and skill checks
- Progress quantification
- Price: $29.99
2. Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing Personal Edition
This edition is designed for individuals and students who only need a single license. The other features mentioned above for the Family version remain unchanged.
- Learn to type on an individual level
- 1 license for usage on one computer
- Achieve your personal job goals and improve your career opportunities
- See results within eight hours if you follow the tutor’s step by step instructions
- Set his own typing goals and progress at your own pace
- 12 different themes
- Quantify the progress
- 18 videos
- 100 skill checks and typing tests
- Price: $19.99
3. Mavis Beacon Keyboarding Kidz
This edition is perfect for children and young students who want to learn to type and improve their keyboarding skills in a fun way. You can set your own words-per-minute goals and assist Mavis and Dex on their activities at the movie theater.
- Over 250 different lessons of keyboarding
- Over 200 session topics for in-depth practicing
- 10 fun typing games
- Customizable music selection
- Detailed map for the curriculum
- Progress monitoring
- Printable Awards
- Price: $19.99
Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing Review: Pros, Cons and Benefits
Just like every product has its pros and cons, the Mavis Beacon Software is no different.
On the pro side you will find effective exercises, videos and monitoring tools. A great benefit is also its ability to customize goals and classes.
If you wanna look at the downsides then you would find the program’s limitation to a certain number of system installs at the top of such a list. The single license allows only one install, the family version only comes with three different computer installations. Therefore, we recommend to keep in mind on how many computers you would actually need the program on.
While Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing can achieve high scores in many user reviews, particularly efficacy and user friendliness, it is also slightly outperformed by other programs such as Typesy, Typing Instructor and Ultrakey in regards to performance, number of games and activities or license conditions. You may want to read our review on the best typing software to compare popular programs.
Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing Review: The Verdict
In regards to its success based approach, this is a good software and should definitely be considered. It combines a great deal of exercises with an experiential and practice based learning approach. Moreover, it also covers areas like posture and other relevant techniques which eventually will aid in the improvement of your typing skills.
In general, before making a decision to go for any versions of this product – carefully decide the edition that you want to go for. Consider the family package if you want the whole family to participate or if you need the program at work too. The single edition might be the cheaper option but is only suitable for those who train on one work station alone and don’t want any extra user accounts. Similarly, if you mainly want your kids to learn, consider the children edition which is meant for them.